If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Friday, October 15, 2010

And the Greatest of All, Love.

Love, Love, Love. This is one fruit of the Spirit that should be easy. The Lord gives us the perfect example of love. He loved each and every one of us so much that He sent His son to die on the cross for us. (Romans 5:8). He loved us so much that He forgives the unforgivable, He gives mercy to those who need it, He cares about every single detail in our lives. There is nothing about you or me that God doesn't love, except sin. Nothing can separate us from God's love either. Romans 8:38 says, "And I am convinced that nothing can ever separate us from His love, Death can't and life can't. The angels can't and the demons can't. Our fears for today, our worries about tomorrow, and even the powers of hell can't keep God's love away." So with this example, it should be easy for us to love, right? It should be, but sometimes its not. Although I may always *xfeel* love for my family and friends, if I am not exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit, they may interpret it as me not loving them. If I am not kind, the feeling of love may not be felt. So one of my goals this week is to make sure my actions match up with my heart. I love my children, husband, family and friends unconditionally, so my actions need to say the same. If I am not exhibiting the fruits of the Spirit, they may not be sure about my love for them. In addition to loving our "loved ones" we are also called to love all people, it is the sign of a disciple. John 13:35 says "By this all men will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." This isn't referring to just the nice, neutral, or decent people you see, it also includes the unclean, the downtrodden, and our enemies. Matthew 5:44 reminds us, "But I say, love your enemies! Pray for those who persecute you!" This one seems harder to me. Sure I can love the people I choose to be around, but as for those who have wronged me...this is not as easy. I don't really have any "enemies" but there are people out there that are harder to be around than others. So, lets add another goal to this week. I will choose to love all God's people, even the people that I have deemed "unlovable." This is such an example to those around us about what God is really about. I will need God's strength and reminder, but I know I can count on Him ;-) So to you I say, I love you (see, I'm starting already!). Go in love and show everyone how much God loves them!

No comments:

Post a Comment