If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Monday, December 13, 2010

Joy to the World...

I do not know what is wrong with me. I LOVE Christmas! But this year I am not feeling the Christmas spirit. It doesn't even really feel like Christmas to me. I don't have a Christmas tree, the lights aren't up, and it's 75 degrees outside. Being that this feeling is so not like me, I started to think and pray about why I was feeling like this. As much as I pondered and prayed, I couldn't figure it out. Then in worship on Sunday, the worship pastor sang a Christmas song and spoke about Christmas a little bit. As I worshiped, God opened my eyes to a reason for the Grinch-like feelings. I was focused on the "Christmas" things, but not on what Christmas was all about...Jesus' birthday. Birthday's are another thing I LOVE. And this is the birthday of my Best Friend, the person who knows me best, who loves me most, and who is always there for me. This is the celebration of the King of Kings, Immanuel, Savior to the Broken, the Redeemer, the Prince of Peace, the Son of God. He is the reason for the Season, the reason life has meaning, and the reason I am going to Heaven. He was sent to this world as a baby, so He could relate to us and ultimately give His life for us. Without Him, there is no reason for hope. Christmas trees, lights, cookies, and gifts, although they are wonderful and a fun part of the season, they cannot be my focus. It is easy to get lost in the shopping lines, the Christmas traffic, and the overall craziness of this time of year. My focus is on the baby that was born to take the sin of the world, the one and only virgin birth. I don't want to sound like a Scrooge, by all means, enjoy all the fun stuff about Christmas, I will be as well. But don't forget the reason for the season.
Today I am focusing on joy. The joy that is brought by hope and love from Jesus. Matthew 2:10-11 says, "When they (the wisemen) saw the star, they were filled with joy! They entered the house where the child and his mother, Mary, were, and they fell down before him and worshiped him. Then they opened their treasure chests and gave him gifts of gold, frankincense, and myrrh." Worship of the Lord should be my number one focus year around, but even more so at this time of year. And something Jesus said towards the end of his days, John 16:24, "You haven't done this before. Ask, using my name, and you will receive, and you will have abundant joy." I am going to ask Jesus for the joy, because He has provided for me always and I am truly blessed.
 Today I am going to focus on having true joy and focusing on preparing for Jesus birthday. How about you, what are you focusing on?
Happy Birthday Jesus :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment