If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Sunday, December 19, 2010

It's The Most _____________ Time of the Year

When you read the title of this blog entry, what word do you put there? I would love to put wonderful, magical, or any other beautiful adjective there, but I have to put busiest. If you look at what time I am writing this, you will see why. For the past 5 days I have been going non stop, to the point that my house is a disaster, my car looks like a bomb went off, I have no food in my fridge, and I have to wake up at 5am to clean my house, download the videos onto the computer to have room for Tucker's Christmas performance, switch the laundry, straighten my hair and blog (and that is only if the kids don't wake up early!). I think the Lord is trying to tell me something in the dark of my house at this wee hour of the morning. I have to make the time and I have to slow down. 1 Timothy 4:12-16 says "Don't let anyone think less of you because you are young. Be an example to all believers in what you teach, in the way you live, in your love, your faith, and your purity. Until I get there, focus on reading the Scriptures to the church, encouraging the believers, and teaching them. Do not neglect the spiritual gift you received through the prophecies spoken to you when the elders of the church laid their hands on you. Give your complete attention to these matters. Throw yourself into your tasks so that everyone will see your progress. Keep a close watch on yourself and on your teaching. Stay true to what is right, and God will save you and those who hear you."
This scripture is speaking to me this morning. So many great suggestions! There are so many things I like about these verses, but in particular, "Give your complete attention to these matters." That is so hard to do when you are running around like a chicken with your head cut off trying to get everything done. These last 6 days before Christmas I am going to attempt to "give my complete attention to these matters," "focus on reading the Scriptures," and "be an example in the way I live." If I am so focused on the shopping, the schedule, and the craziness of the Christmas season, what kind of message am I sending to those around me, especially my kids. This season is to celebrate Jesus' birthday, not stress out over everything else. And these recommendations in 1 Timothy 4 are even more relevant during Christmas time when Jesus is (or at least should be) at the front of everyone's minds. Let this time be a blessing, not a hardship. Show the world that we don't have to be frazzled at Christmas, that instead we can be joyfully focused on what the day really is for. "For unto us a child is born, unto us a son is given: and the government shall be upon his shoulder: and his name shall be called Wonderful, Counsellor, The mighty God, The everlasting Father, The Prince of Peace." Isaiah 9:6. Let the Prince of Peace give you some peace in this season of joy :-) Merry Christmas :-)

No comments:

Post a Comment