If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Friday, December 14, 2012

Peace

When I think of the holidays, I do not think of peace. I think of crazy people trampling each other on Black Friday. I think of all of the errands I need to run to get people gifts with money that I have very little of. I think of the many commitments I have made to try to suck all of the Christmas spirit, well, out of Christmastime. The only peace I think of is when I here "Peace on earth, good will to men" blasting from the overhead speakers at Target. But today, in the midst of the Christmas craziness, I am reminded that peace does not depend on a time of year or what is happening around me, but something that comes from inside my heart.
Colossians 3:15 says, "And let the peace that comes from Christ rule in your hearts. For as members of one body you are called to live in peace. And always be thankful." NLT.
Strong's Greek Lexicon describes peace that comes from Christianity as this: the tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ, and so fearing nothing from God and content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is.
A tranquil state of a soul assured of its salvation through Christ. My soul can rest at ease, because the work has already been done for me. Jesus already died, He already won the battle, I received a gift I didn't deserve. I have NOTHING to worry about! My soul is secure in the promises God made me.
 And so fearing nothing from God... The freedom that comes from having nothing to fear is, well, freeing. It allows you to not worry about what will come today, tomorrow or next year. When the storms come, you know they are going to water what needs to be water and wash away what's not supposed to be there. You know God is doing everything for the good of those who love Him, and that any circumstance, no matter how painful or joyful, will bring you closer to Him while simultaneously bringing glory to Him. There is nothing to fear.
And content with its earthly lot, of whatsoever sort that is. Whether it's possessions, status, location, or circumstance, we are content. Just as Paul says, "...for I have learned to be content whatever the circumstances. I know what it is to be in need, and I know what it is to have plenty. I have learned the secret of being content in any and every situation, whether well fed or hungry, whether living in plenty or in want. I can do everything through him who gives me strength." Philippians 4:11b-13 NIV. God has given us no more, or no less, then we can handle. He has fulfilled our needs, just like He promises. And He will continue to fulfill our needs, all we have to do is trust Him.

Peace. It now has a new meaning to me. Now all I have to do is embody it, take it into my body like the air I breathe, and return it out to those around me. "For as members of one body (we) are called to live in peace. And always be thankful." Right now I am thankful for what the Lord has showed me in His word, just like He does every time I open it. God is good :-) Spread some peace today, Lord knows the world needs it.

No comments:

Post a Comment