If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Tuesday, December 18, 2012

Agent

It's just one of those nights. A night that seemed to be going oh so well, and then ends with three raging tantrums and tears on their pillows (and probably my pillow too.) I don't exactly know how we got here. But I know what I need to do now. Open the Book that I should have opened this morning and ask for some guidance.
The next few verses from this series on Colossians are 16 and 17.
Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus, giving thanks through him to God the Father. NLT
If you don't mind, I am feeling like going a little out of order here. I just have to start with this: And whatever you do or say, do it as a representative of the Lord Jesus. That sets the tone for everything else we hear. We are representatives of Jesus Christ. Hold up one second... That's a big responsibility. We are agents, here to show others who we represent. We are the first glimpse of what Jesus stands for, and sometimes the only glimpse for some people. That is a little scary to me, but instead of being intimidated I am going to take it as a challenge. I'm putting my name tag on as Caite, Agent for Jesus. 
So now that I know what I my role is, I need to figure out how to go about doing that. 
Several months ago, during a particularly rough season, I begged God for answers on how to stop bring such an angry mom. He told me many things, and one of them was so simple. "Turn My music on." I thought it was simple, a little unusual, but enjoyable. So I tried it. I started putting on "Praising Jesus Radio" on Pandora. And the most amazing thing happened. I was happy. I was brought to my knees in tears during precious worship. It didn't matter if I was washing dishes, curling my hair, or picking up toys. It made my heart joyful. And it surrounded me in a cloud of God's glory and beauty. It changed my heart with a simple touch of a button and obedience to God's command. Sing psalms and hymns and spiritual songs to God with thankful hearts. At any time, in any place. It's the beauty of technology working for Him.
This leads to the first part of the verse. Let the message about Christ, in all its richness, fill your lives. When you have this joyful, thankful, Spirit-filled heart, it allows His message to fill your life. His grace, mercy, forgiveness, peace, and everything He stands for is almost too much to handle. It spreads in your life like warm, rich chocolate filling every nook and crany of an intricate mold. In all its richness. I love it. 
Only when these things have been put into place, do I feel it possible to attempt the final responsibility appropriately. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. I have tried it so many times, but rarely with the mind that is prepared with the three prerequisites covered above. And most, if not every time, I try to do this of my own power, I fail. Miserably. Now, I know the order. I know how to prepare myself to be an effective teacher and counselor to whoever God puts in my life in this season. The ones I teach and counsel on a daily basis are my children, for you it may be a friend, coworker, or even stranger. Consider these steps before speaking, before trying to do it your way. Because I can tell you, if your way is anything like my way, it's not going to end well. Teach and counsel each other with all the wisdom he gives. With all the wisdom He gives.

So now I can see where it went so wrong, I can prepare for tomorrow to go right. I am His agent, are you ready to make that commitment?

No comments:

Post a Comment