If it is your first time visiting, you might want to start here for a little background on why I started this journey.

Friday, May 27, 2011

"Is this what I want to be doing when Christ comes back?"

I just finished Francis Chan's "Crazy Love" about 5 minutes ago. The last section of the book shares the same title as my blog entry today: "Is this what I want to be doing when Christ comes back?" This book has inspired me like no other book (other than the Bible, of course ;-). Francis' honesty and frank style has the ability to move you past the edge of comfort. But this is what we were called for. Through reading this book I was inspired to follow a calling to stay home with my children. I have been looking at my life in a different light. The last section of this book he says, "...how will you answer the King when He says, 'What did you do with what I gave you?'" This is not the first time I have heard this, but it hit me harder this time. That leads me to the question at the begining of this post, what do I want to be doing when Jesus comes back? I would be happy if Jesus came back while I was blogging :-) Because I write for His glory and for my growth in Him. I definately do not want Him to come back when I am yelling at my kids, or nagging my husband, or sitting on my butt when I could be doing something important. But the reality is He could come back at anytime, and I should be living like that. This is the mindset I need to be in constantly. Earlier in the book, Francis asks what is the one sentence you will be remembered by when your gone? Our Pastor has said this several times and it has always caught my attention. I wrote down what I wanted my sentence to be the first time our Pastor asked. What I wrote was, "She trusted the Lord with her whole life, and because of this her family and friends believed." After hearing the question again, I added another sentence for the season of my life I am in now. "She taught her children to love God, love His people, and take care of his creation." He goes on to say, what are you doing to make this your life? That was the moment that I realized I needed to stay home with my babies. For me to fulfill my life sentences this is what I needed to do. And that is what I want to being doing if Jesus comes back. Living the life He made me for. He closes out the book with this command. "Now close this book. Get on your knees before our holy, loving God. And then live the life with your friends, your family, parents, spouse, children, neighbors, enemies, and strangers that He has empowered you through the Holy Spirit to live. May you be able to say at the end of your life, along with Paul, 'I have fought the good fight, I have finished the race, I have kept the faith. Henceforth there is laid up for me the crown of righteousness, which the Lord, the righteous judge, will award to me on that Day, and not only to me but also to all who have loved his appearing.'-2 Timothy 4:7-8." So this is what I need to do!
What is your life sentence? And what are you doing to live it out? No more excuses, be who God made you to be!

No comments:

Post a Comment